Remember to go online at www.petlink.net to register your puppy’s micro-chip.
Things you will need for your new puppy:
1) Dishes for food & water
2) Crate – if you intend to crate train
3) Bed – preferably nothing with lots of stuffing – as some puppies will take great pleasure in shredding it. And should they decide to ingest some of the stuffing, it can cause intestinal blockages. Imitation sheepskin tends to work best.
4) Puppy food – we supply the first bag
5) Measuring food scoop
6) Collar & leash – we supply these; you will get to choose from a variety of colors and patterns when you pick up your puppy.
7) Harness – I usually suggest a harness for families with small children,as this will prevent them from harming the puppy should they inadvertently pull on the puppy’s necks too hard . Note: We are happy to provide you with a harness if needed.
8) Toys – we will supply a few ; but it is a good idea to have a variety (NO rawhides or soft rubber) . Pick toys with different textures, such as soft plush toys, canvas toys, hard rubber (nyla bones), antler, bull horns, etc.
9) Potty training pads or tray – if your puppy will be left alone for periods longer than 2 hours.
10) ID tag – ( to hook to the collar ) with your contact information. Your puppy will be micro-chipped, but your tags are the first source of information, should your little one ever get lost.
11) Baby gates with vertical bars – depending on where you intend to confine him /her for periods of time without supervision. For periods less than 2 hours, your crate will work fine. For periods over 2 hours, you will need to have a safe confined space where he /she can move about, and relieve himself /herself if needed (hence the potty training pads /tray ). And if this will be a common occurrence, I suggest the washable ones that can be re-used as it saves money .
12) Cleaner/Odor Eliminator – should an accident occur.